Color Poems--Using the Five Senses to Guide Prewriting

Comments

• Aug 8 2010 10:59 PM

Gail Zeigler

This resource was matched by a member of the Brokers of Expertise standards matching team.

• Aug 8 2010 2:26 PM

Mary Kay Monson

A member of the Brokers of Expertise Standards Matching Team matched this resource.

• May 26 2009 3:30 PM

Color Poems: Using the Five Senses // Janet Anders

Color Poems: Using the Five Senses My fourth grade class used this for Writing Strategies 1.0 (Students progress through the stages of the writing process.) Pros: Fun, fun, fun! My students and I loved this! In fact, they asked to do it again! I didn't get the usual groans when we had to revise. (Well, ok, some students did but most did not.) Cons: It did take my class longer to complete than the resource suggested. I believe part of the reason was that I was unwilling to move on until I felt the previous stage was actually finished. Also, since this is the end of the year, some students are already on "vacation-mode."

Contributed By

Description

In this lesson, from ReadWriteThink, students are asked to think about colors, while imagining what they taste, feel, smell, sound, and look like. The students use their five senses as a prewriting tool to guide their poetry writing. This lesson is open-ended enough that students can write free-form poetry or follow a provided template to create a color poem. This lesson incorporates a Printing Press student interactive.

Learning Registry Activity

Bookmarks

Topics and Grades

Grade: 3 to 5

Topics: English-Language Arts, Reading Comprehension, Writing Strategies

Standards

Tags/Keywords