A Genre Study of Letters with "The Jolly Postman"

Comments

• Aug 3 2010 6:43 PM

Gail Zeigler

This resource was matched by a member of the Brokers of Expertise standards matching team.

• May 27 2009 10:52 AM

A Genre Study of Letters with "The Jolly Postman" // Janet Anders

My 4th grade class used A Genre Study of Letters with "The Jolly Postman" for standard 3.1 (structural forms of literature) and standard 1.1 (use simple and compound sentences in writing and speaking.) This was one the first resource I used on this site. I actually used it before I joined the BoE Pilot! I have used "The Jolly Postman" for years to introduce letter writing. This site makes using the book more efficient and organized. Good worksheets and ideas. The time allotment was accurate also.

Contributed By

Description

In this ReadWriteThink lesson, "The Jolly Postman" is used as an authentic example to discuss letter writing as a genre. Students explore the letters to the storybook characters delivered by "The Jolly Postman." They then learn how to categorize their own examples of mail. "The Jolly Postman" uses well-known storybook characters, from fairy tales and nursery rhymes, as recipients of letters. This children's storybook is therefore ideal for using as a review of these genres of literature and as a means of helping children begin to explore rhyme and a variety of writing styles. This resource includes links to teacher and student materials, a student interactive, and related Web sites. Several pieces of literature appropriate for use with this lesson are suggested. Less

Learning Registry Activity

Bookmarks

Topics and Grades

Grade: 3 to 5

Topics: Literature, English-Language Arts, Reading Comprehension

Standards

Tags/Keywords