Behind the Scenes with Cinderella

Comments

• Aug 23 2010 10:35 AM

Louise Bigham

This resource was matched by a member of the Brokers of Expertise Standards Matching Team. 

• Aug 1 2010 9:41 PM

Gail Zeigler

This resource was matched by a member of the Brokers of Expertise standards matching team.

• Mar 29 2010 9:40 PM

Classic Tale with Educational Twists // sarah ranns

I really like how this lesson pulls the past knowledge that children may have (since we all know some form of Cinderella), and build with geography, architecture, history and culture. Comparing and contrasting like stories is a great way to better understanding deeper meanings and messages from the text. I think that inspiring students to write their own folk tales is a great extension activity and way to spark new talents.
  • Mar 28 2010 5:25 PM

This is great! // Danielle Hamel

I really like this lesson plan. It is very detailed and covers several elements of writing. Students are able to compare and contrast which is an important critical thinking skill. I also like how students are able to go through the writing process and then share with the class. I found this to be a very good resource that I may use in the future.

Contributed By

Description

This lesson, from ReadWriteThink, begins by having students compare a version of the Cinderella folk tale from France with a version from the United States to help students make connections between the characters, setting, and plot. The lesson then focuses more deeply on the setting of the Cinderella version from the United States: "Moss Gown" by William H. Hooks. As part of the lesson, students use literature and the Internet to research and learn about the geography, architecture, and weather that are associated with the setting of "Moss Gown." This lesson uses "Story Map" and "Venn Diagram" student interactives. Several pieces of literature appropriate for use with this lesson are suggested. Less

Learning Registry Activity

Bookmarks

Topics and Grades

Grade: 3 to 5

Topics: English-Language Arts, Literature, History-Social Science, Geography, Reading Comprehension

Standards

Tags/Keywords