Algebra Puzzle Interactive

Comments

• May 24 2011 1:43 PM

Valerie Casato

This would be a fun activity to use as a brainteaser warm up for students who are just beginning to understand the basics of algebra.

• Aug 7 2010 7:37 PM

Rita Nutsch

This resource was matched by a member of the Brokers of Expertise Standards Matching Team.

• Jun 18 2009 3:35 PM

Good start // Claudia Benedetti

This would be a good start for students beginning Algebra. They would be able to develop strategies to formulate a theory as to the answer or answers possible. I like Gary's idea of projecting them and letting the students formulate the strategies used. It let's the students develop their own way to the answer.
  • Jun 13 2009 8:45 PM

Warm-Up // Gary Pope

I used them as warm ups. I projected them, the students copied them into their notebooks and filled them out. We then discussed strategies for solving. The next day I generated one (of the three) where the strategies did not initially work.. More though and refinement
  • Jun 12 2009 2:56 PM

Systems of equations, Algebra // Kelly Nelson

I see this resource useful for the introduction or extension of systems of equations, or even at the beginning of the year for substitution. The shapes are great for visual learners who often get confused with the abstractness of variables. I think students in 8th grade will be able to use the puzzle from the beginning of the year and relate them to substitution/guess and check. Then, the puzzles can be used as prior knowledge when introducing systems of equations.
  • Jun 11 2009 6:28 PM

Usable for fourth grade students // Craig Yen

I must agree that this is a nice activity for the visual learner. I think that this activity really stresses the importance on being able to identify the relationship between the different variables. Although advertised as grades 6 to 9, I feel that this activity could be used by 4th graders as well. With my own fourth grade class, I was able to utilize this within a whole class situation to go ahead and show. I feel that those with stronger basic math computational skills could figure out some of these themselves.
  • Jun 1 2009 9:59 AM

Feedback // Denise Henry

I teach mixed grade Algebra and Pre-Algebra classes in a school for high-risk students. Students who finish classwork early are allowed to play online math games. The student who played this game was able to figure out how to play without teacher direction and stated "this is fun". The applet played with no technical difficulties.

Contributed By

Description

This is a wonderful interactive for either familiarizing students with the concept of an equation, or reviewing the meaning behind them. Good for the visual learner.

Learning Registry Activity

Bookmarks

Topics and Grades

Grade: 6 to 9

Topics: Mathematics

Standards

Tags/Keywords