Who I Am Poems

Comments

• Sep 4 2010 9:49 AM

Susanne Melton

This resource was matched by a member of the Brokers of Expertise Standards Matching Team.
  • Aug 8 2010 1:42 PM

Mary Kay Monson

A member of the Brokers of Expertise Standards Matching Team matched this resource.

I used this lesson on the first day of school to get to know my fifth grade students.  It was a great ice breaker and gave me an idea of their writing abilities.  I have also modified this lesson for Mother's Day by changing the beginning and ending line to "My mother is . . . "  Many mothers later thanked me for the "keepsake."

Contributed By

• Original Source:
    ReadWriteThink

Conditions of Use:
    None Specified

Description

In this lesson, from the Multicultural Pavilion, students write a poem called "Who I Am." The only rule for the piece is that each line must start with the phrase "I am...." The structure is open to student interpretation. Students can include statements about where they're from, memories from different points in their lives, interests and hobbies, family traditions and customs, and anything else that defines who they are. This resource is referenced in the ReadWriteThink lesson plan titled "Creating Classroom Community by Crafting Themed Poetry Collections." Less

Learning Registry Activity

Bookmarks

Topics and Grades

Grade: 3 to 12

Topics: Reading Comprehension, English-Language Arts, Writing Strategies

Resource Pedagogy

Resource Type/Classification:

• Teacher Materials

Tool for: Administrators, Teachers, Parents

Tags/Keywords

Instructional Strategy

Grouping: Large Group Instruction

Teaching Method: Cooperative Learning; Hands-on Learning