Table of Contents

Item Analysis: Analyzing Constructed-Response Items

Approach 4: Analyzing constructed-response items to determine the percentage scoring at each possible rubric score.

Here is Question 1b, the second part of multiple-choice Item 1:

1b. Explain your answer. (4 points)

Table 3 shows how the data for constructed-response items can be displayed. This table answers the questions:

  • What percentage of students got each of the possible rubric scores?
  • What percentage of students got a proficient score?
  • What percentage of students left the item blank?
  • How did my class compare with the whole grade? How did my period compare with the whole department (for common assessments)?

Table 3: Item Analysis: Percentage Scoring Each of the Possible Points on
Constructed-Response Items

S = Short answer (2 possible points)
Proficient score = 2

E = Extended response (4 possible points)
Proficient score = 3 or 4

As shown in Table 3, 12% of students got a score of 3 and 8% got a score of 4, resulting in a total of 20%of students scoring proficient on Item 1b.
 

Loading...

Login required to enable "Save Answers" feature.

Sample responses

As was done in Table 2, the next step would be to dig into the data for individual students who scored 0–2. Look at the scores each student got for each of the rubric criteria. Which of the rubric criteria had the lowest scores? Later, we will use the Alternate Ranking Method for analyzing this type of data and creating flexible student groups.
 

Loading...

Login required to enable "Save Answers" feature.

Sample responses