Table of Contents

Step 5: Communicating Instructional Learning Targets

Once our learning targets are clear to us, we need to make sure they will be clear to students…a key feature to student success is students knowing where they are going–that is, understanding what they are to learn."

–Chappuis et al. 2012

In some instances, the CA CCSS may be shared with students as instructional learning targets in the original form.  In many cases, when the CA CCSS are complex and involve multiple skills or concepts, teacher teams need to develop student-friendly, understandable versions of the instructional learning targets and then share those targets with students. Student friendly learning targets are most often formulated using “I can…” or “I will be able to…” statements.

The graphic below provides an example of student-friendly instructional learning targets for the Grade 4 standard:

3.  Instructional Learning Targets

1. Students will be able to
    determine the main idea of a text.
  2. Students will be able to
    explain verbally and in writing how details in the text support the main idea.
  3. Students will be able to
    summarize the text verbally and in writing.

4.  Type of Instructional Learning Targets and Assessment Methods

1. Knowledge—selected response; short constructed response
  2. Knowledge—selected response; short constructed response
  3. Reasoning and product (written summary)—constructed response (short or extended depending on the complexity of the text)

5. Communicating Instructional Learning Targets

1. I will be able to tell  the main idea of text that I have read
  2. I will be able to say and write about how the details in the text tell more about the main idea
  3. I will be able to summarize the main idea and details of the text orally and in writing

Select the links to download the completed Graphic Organizer for the sample Grade 4 reading standard and a blank template to use as you apply the five-step process to standards at your own grade level.

Graphic Organizer: Steps 1–5

Graphic Organizer: Template

Time to Extend

Smarter Balanced produced a Cognitive Rigor Matrix for both ELA and mathematics that is based on the DOK levels introduced in Unit 2. These resources provide guidance for item developers and reviewers to ensure that the assessment targets match the assessment tasks, and may also be useful in planning and implementing classroom instructional and assessment activities.

Revisit the DOK levels from Unit 2 and the Cognitive Rigor Matrix for ELA and Math on pages 21 and 22 of the SBAC General Items Specifications document.