How can you support student conversations during this lesson? What strategies could you use?
- Use manipulatives to give students something to touch and move while engaging in conversation;
- Provide visuals or real objects to give students context for vocabulary;
- Emphasize key words using colored markers so that English learners can distinguish the most important words;
- Employ graphic organizers (charts, tables, tree maps, T-charts, Venn diagrams) to help students make sense of information;
- Encourage student-to-student discussion so that students can hear other ideas and can rehearse language before the teacher calls on them. Have student pairs talk to other student pairs to compare findings/evidence/ideas;
- Ask questions of students to promote thinking and elicit ideas;
- Ask students, “What do you notice?”