Sample Response

During the lesson, students were engaged in conversations with each other about the activity and the science content. What strategies support the learning goals of students interacting in meaningful ways and exchanging information and ideas in conversation (collaboration)? How did these strategies guide students to increase their level of academic language proficiency during the lesson?

I noticed the teacher asked students leading questions, gave students sentence frames (starters) to help students make statements about their observations, provided graphic organizers for students to classify evidence, and instructed students to write their ideas and evidence in science notebooks.

How might the use of a sentence frame help increase academic vocabulary and address SL8.1, L8.1 and L8.6?

Sample Response: Sentence starters help students frame their sentences.  For example these starters:  I agree with you because _______;  I disagree because _______;  A question I still have is ____________; This is different/similar to ________ because _______;  Based on my evidence, I think ______________________ provide the formal sentence structure ( L8.6, L8.1) for ELs to express their ideas.  Often referred to as the brick (words) and mortar (sentence structure), students need practice using both to express their thinking and further their concept development.

How might the use of graphic organizers help students build a learning bridge from the CA CCSS for Speaking and Listening (SL8.3) to the Writing standards (WHST8.1 and WHST8.2)? Check all ideas that apply:

All apply