The student prompt is, “Using evidence from your experiment and reading, write an argument in which you state your claim about metals and support the claim with evidence from two sources.” Based on information students would have recorded in their science notebooks, the teacher would actually develop an answer to the prompt that a successful student might provide. Following is an example:

Metals have different properties by which they can be described. Metals have luster and may be bent. Metals may also conduct heat and electricity. Some people think all metals are also magnetic.

My claim is that not all metals are magnetic. My evidence from the experiment is that the magnet was only attracted to some metals like the paper clip. It was not attracted to the aluminum foil or the brass brad.

My evidence from the reading is that only certain metals are attracted to magnets. Paragraph one of the reading states that these metals must contain nickel, iron, or cobalt.

I learned about which metals are magnetic. Since the paper clip was attracted to the magnet, it must be made of iron, cobalt, or nickel.