Sample Response

1. Name and describe the three basic parts of a quality rubric.

2. Suppose you placed a student in a group to reteach a unit, based on your analysis of multiple-choice assessment item-level data. If a parent asked you why you did this to their child, explain your approach to item-level data analysis in simple terms.

I purposely designed the wrong answers to diagnose typical errors that students make. I found a number of students who chose the same wrong answer, created a small group, and pulled those students aside to review the information because understanding this information is critical to doing well with the lessons that follow.

3. State four characteristics of effective feedback.

Effective feedback is:

1. Given to students as quickly as possible in a useful format
  2. Treated as helpful indicators of what needs to be worked on
  3. Descriptive and focused on areas of both strength and weakness
  4. Includes suggestions to include students in assessing their own weaknesses and is characterized by:

4. How would you persuade a colleague to involve his or her students in using the results of assessment? What activity or strategy would you recommend as a starting point?

I would point out the research showing the relationship between student involvement and increased achievement. I would recommend beginning with the sample rubrics such as those presented in this unit or starting where the teacher is most comfortable in taking a risk.