Sample Responses

Identify at least three users of student assessment data and describe how they use assessment information.

Briefly explain each of the four steps in the integrated Teaching-Assessment Cycle.

Step one is to prepare and plan for teaching by analyzing the content standard and developing learning goals and targets. Step two is to teach, which involves checking for understanding during the instructional process. Step three is to assess, which involves pre-assessment, assessment during instruction, and assessment at the end of instruction. Step four is to analyze the information from assessment and act on that information, which involves adjusting instructional content or techniques to address student needs. These steps occur in a continuous feedback loop where teaching and learning strategies are adjusted as assessment data is gathered.

What is meant by the term "assessment literacy?"

Assessment Literacy is knowing how to assess what students know and can do in regard to established learning targets, analyzing and interpreting the results of these assessments, and applying these results to teaching, learning, and assessment activities.

Identify what you consider to be the three most important attributes of an assessment-literate educator and explain why you chose those particular attributes.

Gather accurate, relevant student performance information, involve students in the use of their own assessment data, and provide feedback to students and their families about student learning. I chose these attributes because without accurate and relevant student performance information, none of the other attributes matter. I believe that students must be responsible and accountable for their learning so that is the second attribute I selected. Meaningful feedback will help students know what they need to do to progress in their learning so that is the third attribute I chose.