Sample Responses

When comparing to the CCR Anchor Standards, what important additions to and information about "text types" do you find in the sidebar section of California's ELD Standards?

The information in the sidebar illustrates another way to describe the connections across purposes, text types, and audiences.

The variety of informational text types helps me see varied ways to teach the CCSS Writing Text Types.

The information helps me understand this CCSS Anchor Standards language: "...for a range of tasks, purposes, and audiences."

How does this information help you describe the differences between broad text types and a variety of subgenres?

Three broad text type categories do not limit, but instead open up countless possibilities for subgenres of writing I can teach.

The text types cross disciplines and subject areas, and the examples of writing genres listed in the sidebar illustrate text types that cross subjects or are appropriate to a specific subject or discipline.

How does this information help you name and describe writing tasks for varied audiences and purposes?

I can teach the writing of explanations – how and why something happened – across all the subject areas I teach my sixth graders: in history, science, reading non-fiction and fiction, or as a part of my school's character education program.

My students keep a notebook or log of their science observations. The purposes for that writing are informing and explaining, but to accomplish that purpose, they describe what they observe. Learning to write better descriptions could improve their explanations of what they have observed and learned.

Literary analysis is listed as an informational text type. The purposes for literary analysis include interpreting, explaining, and analyzing. If I include more opportunities for students to discuss their interpretations and analysis with small groups as they are writing their essays, they may better understand the need for their essay to inform an audience of readers.