Consider anchor standards 1-3: How will the increased emphasis on argument and informative/explanatory writing impact your current teaching?
- I may have to give up some of my narrative topics to make room for more analytical writing, or find a way to connect the two.
- I will need to help my students form stronger opinions or "take a stand" and support their claims with valid reasons.
- I am concerned that I will have limited opportunities for my students to connect personally to their writing, so I will need to find a way to make analytical writing interesting for them.
Consider anchor standards 4-6: Which standard(s) would bring the most significant changes to your teaching of writing at your current grade level? Why?
- Standard 4: Task, purpose, and audience. These concepts are challenging for my first grade students. I need to find ways to teach them how to do this.
- Standard 5: I usually send work home for my ninth grade students to revise, so I need to focus more on helping my students collaborate in class through the stages to support each other's writing.
- Standard 6: With limited classroom resources, I will have to be creative in finding ways for my middle school students to collaborate online and publish their writing using computers.
Consider anchor standards 7-9: Which standard(s) might present the greatest challenges for your students?
- Standard 7: My students are not accustomed to doing research projects of significant length. This will be a new challenge for them.
- Standard 8: Plagiarism and credibility are hard to teach at my grade level. My students often believe the first thing they read and don't understand what plagiarism is.
- Standard 9: Finding multiple sources from multiple media may be a challenge for my students who tend to rush through their research.
Consider anchor standard 10: How might you collaborate with your colleagues to ensure that all students are exposed to the range required by this standard?
- I would like to produce a collective series of assignments with other teachers at my grade level.
- I would like to share my knowledge and learn from the experiences of others on the range of writing types, purposes, and audiences.