Recognize and support students to engage with the complexity of language in mathematics classrooms.
Language in mathematics classrooms is complex and involves:
- Multiple modes (oral, written, receptive, expressive, etc.).
- Multiple representations (including objects, pictures, words, symbols, tables, graphs, etc.)
- Different types of written texts (textbooks, word problems, student explanations, teacher explanations, etc.)
- Different types of talk (exploratory and expository)
- Different audiences (presentations to the teacher, to peers, by the teacher, by peers, etc.)